Friday, July 12, 2024

Disco Freak - Living with Epilepsy. This Poem is Dedicated to all those who suffer with the Condition of Epilepsy. This is a Poem about My Own Personal Life Experiences, due to my life long Condition.

 I'm a disco freak,
Dancing the most
When I'm asleep.


My Head keeps time,
My hands take the lead,
While my feet move along
To the beat.

The Music that are my
Seizures are so powerful,
That my nerves can't help but
Come alive.

Radiating & ricocheting,

Throughout my entire body.
Each shock zaps my brain,
All at the same time.


Momentarily all colour disappears,
From my mind & everything
Becomes black & white.

My brain constantly overdosed
On Electricity, I have enough to
Provide power to a small town.


When the seizures take over,

I feel like I'm sleepwalking -
Semi but not completely aware
Of what's happening to me, or
Where I am. Temporarily losing
The capability of talking.

After the seizure runs
Its course, shortly then I wake.
The only way to maintain
It's Prevention is with medication,
To keep my Epilepsy at bay.


This silent & sneaky gremlin,
Doesn't take up residence in
All brains. It skips a generation,
Kind of like a movie, it only finds
The best theatre of minds
Before hitting 'Play.'


It's a curse that I've turned
In to a Blessing, I was Chosen
Specifically & Designed to live
With this condition for the rest
Of my life.

Everyday I learn, a little bit more
To be patient with & forgive myself.

Like tolerating an annoying person.

The way I've taught myself
To cope with this non-ideal
Genetic trait is to accept,
Make peace & see the uniqueness
Of this rare condition of my
Individual inner beauty.


Something to not be embarrassed
Or ashamed of, but rather, something
To love & celebrate.

It's like being in a temporary coma,
In that moment I'm neither here nor there.
I'm in both worlds at the same time -
This one, and the next.

The very best magician, it holds the ability
To disappear and re-appear once again.

For you to witness a seizure, is the
Ultimate test.

Are you truly Loyal?
Will you stay by my side when I'm physically at my worst?
Or will you freak out and run away when I am at my most vulnerable, just like the rest.


- Alexandra Pierotti.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Snow White.

Midnight black hair, Shoulder length that I Pin back into a curly bob. Eyes green and s kin, Snow white . The woodland creatures, Gather to...